Monday, April 21, 2008

Mother's Day Celebration

OK - I must admit I have never had a client ask for a Mother's Day Party and I, as a mother, never celebrate in a traditional "party" kind of way. The only time I can remember doing that is when we were away from family and the kids were very young. Then, for survival sakes, I invited another family over and the other mother and I made the food for our families together. Typically, however, moms enjoy a day off from cooking. Do I hear an "Amen" in the house???!!!

Now that I am a little older and wiser, I like to spend my mother's day surrounded by those that I love doing something I love. A few year's ago, my sister-in-law and I chose to play tennis with our families and then go to a beloved Chicago Hot Dog joint! We're midwest girls, so going for a Chicago dog in the west was just a blast to us!!! And getting out in the fresh air and batting the ball around with our families made my feel gleeful!

This year, I'm opting to invite another family for a hike, followed by a picnic. (See How @ PartyOriginals.com) A picnic lunch is a great option because it is "do-able" by my family or if it ends up being me doing the organizing, I can buy some yummy treats and still feel very pampered! I know some moms prefer to go out to a wonderful restaurant, but the hike and picnic combination gives me the entire experience that I am looking for.

So if you are like me and fresh air and a picnic sound great, here are some details to pull this off. (I'll be printing this out and taping it to the refrigerator for my family to see!):
  • A great picnic basket/case is a really fun and unique gift for Mom to go along with the theme. One that comes with all the accessories to make a picnic chic is ideal!
  • Fill the basket with simple delicacies but make sure it is food that kids and adults will enjoy.
  • I love nibby-dibbies, so things like olives, smoked oysters, hummus and pita triangles, brie(also get cheddar for the kids) and french bread or crackers, and fresh fruit, all make me very happy and are fun to nibble on while chatting with friends. For the main course a selection of your family's favorite sandwiches( PB&J, turkey, chicken salad) and a great baby green salad for the Moms is terrific. Make sure and include cookies or some other finger-friendly dessert. Throw in some Pellegrino and Jones soda pops and you have happy, happy people which makes for a Happy, Happy Mother's Day Celebration!
Here's hoping your Mother's Day is filled with people YOU love and doing something special that you love to do!

Take Care,
Barb

No comments: