Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Are Do-It-Yourself Projects Really Worth It?

I like being artsy/craftsy - I've already admitted to being an artist-wanna-be - so adding special handmade touches to a party is something I really enjoy. With so many books and magazines and television shows touting all different kinds of craft ideas, I've really learned to choose projects that meet a few goals:
1. Making something that I can't go out and easily buy

2. Making something that would otherwise cost quite a bit

3. Making something that I can fit into my busy life from a time perspective

4. Making something that brings me joy

Recently I designed a centerpiece runner for a party that meets all of those criteria:








1. I definitely could not easily buy it.

2. The materials I bought for it were very inexpensive.
3. It took me about 45 minutes which included time for the paint layers to dry.
4. And it was working with paint sponging and feathered yarn - how fabulous!

Best of all, I love how it looks on the table with clear votives alternately filled with roses and tealights sitting on top. Quite a glow!

For detailed instructions on this Artful Handmade Runner, check out the "How-To Guide at PartyOriginals.com"

I'd love to hear about some of your original do-it-yourself art projects!

Happy Creating!
Barb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely not an arts and craft kind of a person, but you have made the idea of "do it yourself projects" sound so easy and fun!! Thanks Barb! I can't wait to try this for my next party!