Thursday, May 22, 2008

Eco-Friendly Party Supplies

I recently attended my daughter's end-of-the-school-year party. It was a great time - the parents and kids had a "Murder Mystery Party." It also gave me the opportunity to learn a few things from some of the more "eco-friendly" moms in the group who decided that we must use biodegradable paper plates for the party.

The idea behind these products, such as the ones make by Stalkmarket, is that they are made of sugar cane fiber that is a waste product of the sugar refining process. Once you've used the plates, napkins, cups, etc., you compost them in your backyard compost.

If you decide to use these - just remember to let everyone know that you are going to collect them to compost because unfortunately the wonderful mom who was going to compost the plates was left digging through the trash to pull out all of the plates at the end of our school party! But she did it with a smile!

OK - I must admit - for right now they just come in basic white which isn't quite as fun as colors and patterns for this party girl. But, it is definitely something I will keep in mind and include in future parties. (I've added them to my Shop Section/Paper Goods on PartyOriginals.com) Of course, first I need to get a compost bin and a sign for the trash can to avoid garbage digging.

I've conquered fluorescent light bulbs and reusable grocery bags - now on to composting paper plates! It's a new (and hopefully improved) world.

Take Care, Barb

No comments: